The end of March

Gosh, times flies.

The last few weeks of March whizzed by and now we’re in the middle of April! Here’s what’s been going on.

After our fun weekend of axe throwing, a dentist took an axe to my face to remove a troublesome wisdom tooth. Well, not quite, but my face felt pretty butchered after the 30 minutes of jaw yanking I experienced in the dentist’s chair. One tooth and three stitches later I emerged a little less wise but in a fair bit of pain. I’ve had two wisdom teeth taken out before and they were a breeze but this time I was on soft food for five days and still had a tender face for a week and a half after.

Indian Tiffin Rooms

{Not soft food, eating at the Indian Tiffin Rooms}

A good friend of mine came down from Edinburgh for a weekend and we spent it eating and drinking, and drinking and eating. So much so that I found myself needing a detox and came up with and idea for a 30 day challenge for my 30 before 30. As I write, I am 18 days in to no sugar/crisps/general junk/mindless snacking and surprisingly I’m finding it fairly easy. I’m not quite sure why as I’ve tried something like this multiple times before but failed miserably. I think maybe my body finally had enough of the rubbish I’ve been putting into it in the last few months and is enjoying the break.

We went to London for the day at the end of March to meet my cousin and her fella. As per usual I managed to conspire to go to bed past midnight when we had to be up for 6. Oy! We arrived in London too early for much to be open so we spent an hour chatting over coffee until the British Museum opened.

Space Invaders in London

{Space Invading London, yellow coat}

After a quick stop at the Laura Lee shop to see if they could fix a ring of mine, we still had over an hour before our lunch date. It was a beautiful spring day and Google Maps told us our destination was only a 46 minute, two and a bit mile walk away so we decided on a leisurely mooch. The directions could not have been easier. A right, a left, then 2 straight miles down a nice long road.

Down a nice, long, straight road. There was no chance of getting lost…

46 minutes later we were still 35 minutes away from our destination in the middle of a crowded Oxford Street. I did not realise it was physically possible to walk so slowly, but the most befuddling part of it was the fact that we didn’t realise just how late it was until I glanced at my phone and noticed that an hour had passed and we’d not made much headway.

We. Are. Numpties.

And if my cousin and her boyfriend were thinking the same, they were too nice to say anything. Lunch was lovely. The company, fantastic, the food a little lacklustre. We then mooched a little to go meet my aunt for coffee and a catch-up. Before long, it was time to go home.

Eton Mess

{Eton mess, made but not eaten by me}

We also celebrated my father-in-laws birthday with a home cooked meal. I made a peppercorn sauce to go with the steaks my husband was cooking. It was the first time I had ever flambéed anything and those flames are a lot scarier in real life than on the TV. I also contributed an Eton Mess of which I DID NOT EAT A BITE! Yay, willpower!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s